Monday, July 10, 2017

Part 2: Review on Wedding Banquet @ Crystal Crown, PJ

This post I'm gonna write about "during" the banquet. 

You can read about pre-banquet here: Part 1: Review on Wedding Banquet @ Crystal Crown, PJ 

The real day is here, the day that you've been waiting for and all prepared for. This ONE DAY. This big day of yours. Your guests are coming and some are already here.

Yet, during this time is when the staff decided to further hammer the red carpet. On good thoughts, it's for the safety of the people walking in and out of the ballroom but shouldn't this preparation be done way earlier before they deemed that the ballroom is ready to be used? This doesn't seem "ready" for me.

As we need to prepare food for our photographers before the program starts, I've requested for some plates to put the food that we've take out from restaurant. The plates only comes 20 minutes later even when the kitchen is just next door. And they brought us mini plates even when I've already explained what the purpose was for. I'll just oversee that.

As the entrance were quite crowded, the staffs too need to walk around the hall for preparation, they accidentally bump on to the flower stand along the isle. But they choose to ignore even when one of the flower broken and walked away. My expectation was that he picked it up. I don't really mind if the flower is broken, that gotta happen somehow. At least show some regret and pick it up.

During the couple march in, one of the staff decided to walk along on the red carpet. Shouldn't he be already aware that the moment has come? The door was open to indicate that the marching in will begin and he decided to walk slowly on the red carpet as my photographer has to ask him to move away and until one of my guests pulled him away to stand by the side. We even had our emcees repeated in bilingual, a trained staff would have alerted themselves to move aside.





The service of the staff were so slow. When my guests requested for a drink, it only comes 30 minutes later. Or never. Some staff even brought one whole bottle of soft drink to the table where they were actually suppose to serve when needed. Does this mean that my guest have to self-service? Also, this means there is no control of beverage flow. One of my guests requested for hot water and the staff shoved the hot water right next to my guests face without saying excuse me in the first place. Asking the guests first before proceeding is the least they should be trained. "May I clear the plate?" Simple sentences. Simple answer is expected. Yes, no. Yet, the staff did not ask and cleared the plate on the table even before my guests were finish with their food.

Seriously, all these staff shows lack of training especially on their communication skill. They barely could understand the requests. One of my guests spotted that the staff were fooling around before the presentation of the food. Where's the discipline? (and that staff was a high rank one).

One of my guest's door gift were taken away without question asked when the staff accidentally spilled some soup over it. Some staff did not understand the dining culture (which I would expect them to know if they have proper training). They provide spoon to scoop the ice instead of ice thongs. Is this some roadside restaurant? We're in a hotel ballroom for heaven's sake.

I have a few vegetarian guests. I've already told the sales person (whom I liaise with before, whom should be aware of my requests) that there should be a proper marking of who is the vegetarian so that the food may arrive to them correctly. It was promised that they would ask who it was first before putting on the marking on the table to identify them. Yet, the marking were all wrong, and my vegetarian guest were left hungry for a few hours before I have to personally confront the staff myself. Yet, as I've mentioned, the staff pretend to understand my request and walked away and ended up ignoring it. I have to check back again with my guest to find out if they were served. And it was so slow with small portion!

Usually during Chinese wedding, there will be times, especially after "bone-food" or "shell-food' like chicken or prawn, the plates will usually be cleared and new set of plates will be given. Yes, this hotel ballroom do provide this service. But they just stack the whole new plates on the table and expect my guest to distribute among themselves. Then when they were clearing the plates, they took away some of the cutlery and didn't replenish it. What do you expect my guests to eat with? Hands? Also, this coming from my boss' experience from the server that serves his table. The staff placed the dirty dish UNDERNEATH THE TABLE. Why?! WHAT?! Well, given the benefit of thought, my boss is not a Malaysian, you could say he don't understand the culture. But the other 9 members on the table are. They too commented the same. WHAT? For WHAT?! feed the rat? If there is one...

There was some technical problem during the event. The ballroom suddenly got warmer. Guests complained. At 7pm (when the event suppose to start), technical equipment were still not ready for my emcees. Unforeseen technical problem like sudden breakdown, I could still understand. But the excuse they gave after we confront them after the reception, "Well, there were too many guests at that point, so it gets a little hotter". Legit excuse definitely. But shouldn't they already have this experienced and be prepared to adjust the temperature? Or just set them to optimum temperature.

Remember that I mentioned they were hammering the red carpet during the start of the event, well, it wasn't a well done job. The carpet still wasn't rolled out properly. There were wrinkles and few of my guests almost tripped few times!

There were more feedback and dissatisfaction that happens during the event. Too many to list out and overall it just show how unprofessional they were. 3.5 star hotel according to Tripadvisor. I don't see this kind of service being a 3 star at all. I could only compare them to normal restaurants out there. Not a hotel rank service. Much disappointment !

Recap:
Part 1: Review on Wedding Banquet @ Crystal Crown, PJ
Part 3: Review on Wedding Banquet @ Crystal Crown, PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment