Monday, July 31, 2017

Preparation for parenthood

Wedding is finally over and now both of you are preparing to be parents! How exciting when you first got that home pregnancy test showing positive! Congratulations!

Alright, what's next?

This is entirely my own experience, now that I'm 30~31 weeks in pregnancy, I would like to share with you readers especially readers from Malaysia.

We're considered the lucky bunch because our government's medical facility has improved over time and giving us a lot of aid and subsidies for medication and check ups.

Going back and forth with both private hospital and government clinic so far, I would love to share my experience with you, especially first time mothers like me. *shy*

Both my hubby and I were excited the moment we've confirmed that I'm pregnant. We did multiple home pregnancy test from the basic stick to digital. Finally when the digital test kit showing that I'm pregnant, I got mixed feelings. "Yay! But what should I do next?"



According to Chinese taboo, you shouldn't share the news of the pregnancy until you're done with the first trimester. What they believe is that by telling the whole world that you're pregnant, you may "scare" the baby spirit thus causing miscarriage. Not being a very superstitious myself, I find myself still fall back to such taboo and thus hiding the news from my siblings and friends until the 3rd month had passed. Of course I did some research too if there's logic behind it. It is said that the first trimester of pregnancy is often the risky one whereby chances of miscarriage is higher therefore if you've told others that you're pregnant, the hardship  may even be greater when you need to share the  bad news of losing the baby.

So both hubby and I decided to only share the joy with our parents. We didn't know what to do then. The following day, we went to private hospital nearby for check up. The scan showed I was 5weeks pregnant (according to my LMP -Last menstration period) but the doctor couldn't scan much about it as it was still just a dot in the womb.

At 5 weeks.
We went home with joy nevertheless and got folic acid to reduce the risk of neural tube defects on the baby. We were told by doctor that usually before getting pregnant, the mother is advised to take folic acid too to cut down the chances for neural defects baby. We were lucky to be able to see the doctor, according to my brother, some hospital require you to make an appointment 2 months in advance!

My next visit was 3weeks later when I'm 8 weeks pregnant to scan for heartbeat. Indeed, we can see flickering in the womb and hear the heartbeating. I teared. Doctor also prescribed me vitamins to take to help increase the supplements needed for the baby.

When I'm 3months pregnant, we finally break the news to our siblings and relatives and friends. It was interesting to see their reaction especially when I broke the news on April's fool day.

My sister in law recommended us to open a pink book with the government clinic, known as KKIA (Klinik Kesihatan Ibu & Anak), Where the check up is very much cheaper and our baby's vaccination will be free compared to private which charges about RM 200 for each shot.

You cannot go to just any KKIA to do check up, you have to find out which KKIA is handling your district otherwise, they will not handle your case. When hubby and I first got to the KKIA we were directed to, we couldn't do a walk in. We'll need to set an appointment with the nurse and come again another day. You'll need to remember to bring the following:

- Your IC
- Spouse IC
- Marriage certificate
- Utilities bill

I got scolded by the nurse for seeing them so late. When I'm already 3 months into pregnancy. They said I should have come earlier. Well, I didn't know earlier, now I do...Well, suck it in... I read elsewhere that the ideal time to come is when you're 10 weeks pregnant. I also heard some going in at 8 weeks. So... I'm not sure on this.
Should have taken the picture when it's a new book; anyway, if you're fit, the sticker would be green instead of yellow.

 
If you're wondering why there's a yellow sticker, it's because I got a high bp record just lately in my 3rd trimester.
 
Came to the appointment as early as recommended by the nurse and finally open my first pink book (buku merah). The clinic was crowded. But they follow ticketing numbers so that was quite organised. First timers will be asked all sorts of questions like family medical history, LMP, and the usual urine and hemoglobin test (each visit) and after some briefing and advices, I finally got my pink book!

Ever since then, I went for both private and government clinic for checkup. It's tiring especially when the government clinic only operates on working hours and the time slot that I got is usually 8am.

I like the government clinic checks. They are more thorough. Each time you visit, you'll have to do a urine test, blood pressure test, hemoglobin count test, weight check and you'll get free obimin vitamins! All you have to do is to pay RM1 for the processing fee. But the downside is that you wont get scanned by the doctor on each visit. Only on certain appointments. If you don't mind that, I suggest you to only go for government clinic's. Although you may have to persevere in the infamous long wait.

Private is more expensive, every check they do and every prescription they gave is bound for charges. I often got charged closed to RM200 each time I made a visit to private hospital even without the prescription. But the bright side is that they operates on weekend as well (depends on which hospital) and their service is much faster. My advice though. Do get your questions prepared. Whether you got less questions or more questions you'll still be charged for consultancy, and it's not cheap.

There you go. It's up to you whether you want to opt for government or private. To me, it's all about the budget you have and the service you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment